Do you have clerical staff or other non-ministry staff in your organisation?
Are you aware of the changes and what they mean for your church or NFP?
If so, the minimum award rate of these employees may have increased.
This email update is a prompt to help you be sure that your church or organisation has prepared the necessary changes in the payroll system.
The minimum wage has increased from 1 November 2020 in more than 50 Awards. The new minimum wages will start from the first full pay period that starts on or after 1 November 2020.
Click here for the list of Group 2 awards that increase on 1 November 2020
Do you know what this all means for you and your church or NFP organisation?
Many churches and NFPs have administration or bookkeeper employees, and these people are generally covered by the Clerks Award.
If your non-ministry staff are not covered by the Clerks Award, which award does apply for them?
Church treasurers and management teams sometimes struggle to understand that awards are relevant for them. It is essential to look after all aspects of the employment of all our staff in churches and NFPs (small and large).
Things to be done now
1.Points to be aware of and review at this time:
- determine the applicable award for each employee. Click here for for the list of awards.
- determine the classification of each employee. Each award has their own set of classifications and descriptions that explain the classifications. Click here for the explanation of the classifications for the Clerks Award
- understand the minimum wage rate for the applicable award and classification,
- reference to their employment contracts – every employee must have an employment contract, the award and classification they are covered under must be stated in the employment contract, and
- check all details in the payroll system
2. Make arrangements for the changes in payroll
Other points for review and consideration:
- ensure that all the other entitlements in the Clerks Award, such as leave loading are included in the payroll setup
- review the settings for full time or part time, permanent or casual – especially if there have been any changes in 2020 caused by COVID or JobKeeper
- ensure that each employee’s particular contract is current
- ensure that you are confirming with the new 2020 annualised pay requirements: Benkorp blog- Annualised wages requirements
Here is the link to the new Clerical Wages: Clerical Award Minimum Wages